I have noticed that unless you are a true cat lover, you really don't know that much about them. There's myths, superstitions, ploys. I have heard people say that they don't like cats because they're unclean. WHAT???? Unclean??? Cats?? Ridiculous!!!!
I have also heard that cats aren't friendly or as giving as dogs. Absurd! My cats won't let me even pee in peace! One other thing I've heard people say, which is right up there with the unclean comment, is that cats are too high maintenance. Come on!!!!!!!!!! That is absolutely not true. I have 7 cats and a full time job, that would be impossible if they were even a little high maintenance.
In my quest to enlighten the world on anything regarding cats, I feel it is my duty to present some interesting cat facts or facts about cats that I have found:
* Ailurophilia is the "love of cats."
* A cat's heart beats twice as fast as a human heart, at 110 to 140 beats per minute.
* The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a pattern that is unique, just like the fingerprint of a human.
* The largest cat breed is the Ragdoll. Males weigh twelve to twenty pounds, with females weighing ten to fifteen pounds.
* If your cat is near you, and her tail is quivering, this is the greatest expression of love your cat can give you. If her tail starts thrashing, her mood has changed --- Time to distance yourself from her.
* Don't pick a kitten or a cat up by the scruff of its neck; only mother cats can do this safely, and only with their kittens.
* Cats knead with their paws when they're happy.
* Your cat loves you and can "read" your moods. If you're sad or under stress, you may also notice a difference in your cat's behavior.
* The domestic cat is the only cat species able to hold its tail vertically while walking. All wild cats hold their tails horizontally or tucked between their legs while walking.
* A cat will amost never "meow" at another cat. This sound is reserved for humans.
* A cat's normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees. This is slightly warmer than a humans.
*Cats love to chew on grass, catnip, parsley or sage. Become a green thumb and plant an indoor garden for your cat! But be careful -- many plants are toxic to your cat!
* "Sociable" cats will follow you from room to room to monitor your activities throughout the day.
* Give your cat a quality scratching post to deter her from scratching your furniture. Still scratching? Try putting lemon scent or orange scent on the area. Cats hate these smells.
* Cats get their sense of security from your voice. Talk to your cats! And be mindful of your tone of voice. Cats know when you're yelling at them (though they may not care).
* The more cats are spoken to, the more they will speak to you.
* Cats can see in color!
* Cats are partially color blind. They have the equivalency of human red/green color blindness. (Reds appear green and greens appear red; or shades thereof.)
* Cats don't see "detail" very well. To them, their person may appear hazy when standing in front of them.
* Cats can see up to 120 feet away. Their peripheral vision is about 285 degrees.
* The color of a kitten's eyes will change as it grows older.
* At birth, kittens can't see or hear. Cats open their eyes after five days and begin to develop their eyesight and hearing at approximately 2 weeks. They begin to walk at 20 days.
* Kittens begin dreaming at just over one week old.
* Cats rub up against other cats, and people, in an attempt to "mark" them with their scent glands. They most often use the scent glands between their eye and ear (near the temple area) or their scent glands near the base of their tail.
* Many experts report that cats will purr when feeling any intense emotion (pleasure or pain). VERY IMPORTANT
* Cats love to hide! If yours comes up "missing," be sure to check in the bathtub, in your closet, in the dresser drawers, under a blanket or rug...or anywhere else you can possibly think of!
* Cats are the sleepiest of all mammals. They spend 16 hours of each day sleeping. With that in mind, a seven year old cat has only been awake for two years of its life!
* Cats are more active during the evening hours. (Mine love to have parties around 3am!)
* Cats spend 30% of their waking hours grooming themselves.
* 95% of all cat owners admit they talk to their cats. (I know I do!)
* Cats are more aggressive when they are not neutered or spayed.
* A cat that bites you after you have rubbed his stomach, is probably biting out of pleasure, not anger.
* An adult cat has 32 teeth.
* Each year Americans spend four billion dollars on cat food. That's one billion dollars more than they spend on baby food! (Wow! Interesting)
* Egyptians shaved their eyebrows as a sign of mourning when they lost a beloved cat.
* Never feed your cat dog food. Cats need five times more protein than dogs do.
Ok, so maybe some facts aren't usefull but at least they're interesting!
Hope you enjoyed reading these cat facts and looking at the cute pictures!